Wednesday 29 September 2021

#WineRoutingWithLloyd - Spookfontein Cottages

Sitting reminiscing about my #WineRoutingWithLloyd trip today had me wishing I was back in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley. Specifically back at Spookfontein, where I got to spend a weekend in one of their cottages. 


There really is something magical about this place. I think it must be the combination of the location, the wine & the people - it makes me smile thinking back. The estate is nestled between The Kleinriver & the Babilonstoring Mountains with views looking out over the valley below back toward Hermanus. 

The Blue Crane Cottage was all mine - situated in the middle of the vineyards & the mountains it gives you the perfect country feel. The simple farmhouse decor reminds me of the old house on the farm that we grew up in whilst visiting grandparents. The large stone fireplace was not going to be missed out on - so I built myself a a fire & warmed the cottage up on the cooler evening. 




Each room is en-suite with it's own bathroom & with French doors that open up on the the patio whilst overlooking the vineyards & allowing that gentle sea breeze, that cools the vineyards, to move right through the entire cottage. 




Pop in to the restaurant for a late lunch & wine tasting - suddenly I'm craving the Fried Hake & Chips, served with mushy peas & a lemon mayo with a glass of the Merlot Rosé & a side order of Pork Gyoza (these are nice & spicy - working really well with the Cabernet Franc). Check out the latest menu here.




The cottages are self-catering & the I must say - the kitchen is really well stocked with everything that you would need on a visit. If you don't feel like cooking, the restaurant at Spookfontein has got you covered! Only open from Wednesday to Sunday & the kitchen closing at 15:30 - however, you can order from the restaurant & they will semi-prepare your meal & deliver it to the cottage. Think of it like a DIY restaurant quality dinner. 


Prepped ingredients arrive vacuumed sealed along with instructions on how to put your dinner together. I opted in for the Chicken Ramen, Chilli Ginger Broth & Noodles for my dinner - check out my video of prepping my dinner here. Alternatively, if you want to enjoy the outdoors & the night sky (the stars are absolutely beautiful here) - they have a braai outside & you can throw your own steak on the coals to cook something just to your own liking. 




Also - a must mention: the cottages are TV & WiFi free! It gives you that proper & much needed break from the outside world & provides you with a way to escape here in the Valley. Check out more details on the cottage offerings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment