If you are ever #WineRoutingWithLloyd & find yourself venturing out towards Franschhoek, you really don't need to stay on the main road. I highly recommend you veering off in the direction of Glenwood Vineyards. (And make lunch reservations there whilst you are at it.)
You know I'm all about the unique & different. Well, when I heard about what Glenwood Vineyards has to offer, I had to investigate this fine wine & food experience.
The drive in, is already just a beautiful & picturesque one. So on arrival you are given six glasses of Glenwood Vineyard wines for a tasting. But don't finish the whole glass just yet.
Each of these wines has been paired with lunch menu option for you to choose from. But, here comes the twist! Your menu comes in the form of a Tasting Palette, so essentially you get to sample each of the 6 dishes before you actually have to order your main lunch meal.
What a great way for someone as indecisive as me to work my way through the menu options & the accompanying wines to make sure I make the right choice. The menu definitely caters for all palates in my opinion, with lots of locally produced cheese, meat, fish, veggies & herbs! (They even have a vegetarian option.) The menu does change every now & then according to what is in season.
Chardonnay Unoaked 2017 x Ceviche
- A zesty Chardonnay with hints of citrus & has a smooth minerality, which balances out beautifully with the fresh delicate textures of marinated fish.
Chardonnay Grand Duc 2016 x Carpaccio
- The natural falvours of the carpaccio are accentuated with some truffle oil, both with bring out & enhance the beautiful bold butterscotch flavours in the Chardonnay.
Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2017 x Duck Caesar Salad
- A fresh taste of earthy minerality is enhanced by the subtle salt & spiciness of the duck.
Syrah Grand Duc 2015 x Mushroom Risotto
- the natural flavours from vegetable stock & mushrooms compliment when combined with earthy spiciness of Syrah.
Semillon Sauvignon Blanc Grand Duc 2016 x Pork Belly
- a somewhat lively minerality, whilst the acidity of the Bordeaux-style cuts right through the fat of the Pork Belly.
Shiraz 2016 x Sirloin Steak
- natural flavours of the meat crusted with pepper is highlighted by the spiciness of the Shiraz.
The tasting room is open for lunch every day, except for Tuesdays & Wednesdays. Booking is essential, as they only offer seating for 20 guests. (So you really don't want to rock up there & be disappointed if they can't accommodate your party for lunch.)
#WineRoutingWithLloyd - Driven by the #KiaSportage