Friday 15 April 2016

Calisto's - A Portuguese Cuisine Adventure

Calisto’s I believe is a very nice genuine family restaurant, situated in the New Market Mall in Alberton, where you can take everyone. They have a wide variety of items on the menu that will work for every person’s pocket.


Upon arrival the 1st item that caught my eye was the decanter placed on our table with Sparkling Wine and Berries. The server called it “Champagne Sangria.” I decided to let that one slip as I had already poured a 2nd glass of this refreshing & bubbly drink.


Being a very large table we were served with a large array of starters.


-  Peri Peri Chicken Livers (done perfectly as not to actually put your throat on fire)
-  Trinchado
-  Tempura Prawns (crispy and light outer and a soft and tender prawn)
-  Haloumis Strips
-  Creamy Garlic Snails (lots of garlic, just the way I like it)
-  Giblets (I don’t eat these…)
-  Crispy Squid Heads (really good and crispy)
-  Chorizo
-  Calamari tubes






I love eating like this. Having a little bit of everything. It sort of assures that you get to try everything on the table and if you are lucky enough (meaning that if another foodie has not already cleared the rest of the plates) you can get a 2nd helping of your favourites.


Each person then ordered anything off of the menu as to their own taste. I opted for the Sole Thermidor. The sole was prepared very well. Sliding off of the bone with ease, makes eating a sole so much easier. The thermidor sauce was very rich and creamy. As it should be. With mushrooms and cheese, it added to the flavours of the thermidor. Trust to say, that I was very full after this meal. But it is a must try in my opinion.


Others around the table opted for fillet, prawns and platters for 1. The dishes really did look very impressive and from what I could tell, everyone was enjoying their meals.




Dessert & Coffee was up next and it is always a favourite time of a meal for me. I was easy on deciding here. Peppermint crisp tart. Yum. Just thinking about it now makes me want to go have another one. Light and full of flavor this one actually didn’t leave me feeling like I had over indulged for the night. Some of the other desserts included Italian Kisses & Crème Caramel.






If you don’t mind the drive to Alberton or if you are close to the New Market Mall area, I would definitely recommend heading to Calisto’s for a meal.
Calisto's Portuguese Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! I will depart to Portugal next week. Luckily, I have my Portugal visa ready! Your blog has given me all the reasons to visit Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to embark on a Portuguese Cuisine adventure. I need to get a Portugal visa online and visit this enthralling place with my family.

    ReplyDelete